Welcome to the BCHS Music Program
Bishop Chatard offers student musicians the opportunity to learn and showcase their talents through participation in the school Concert Band, Concert Choir, A Capella Choir and Vox Triano.
All students interested in learning more about the performing arts at Bishop Chatard are encouraged to contact the school.
2019-20 Musical Events
Please check with the BCHS Music Director for updates to the below information
- August 28, 2019
- Annual Fund Dinner
- September 28, 2019
- North Deanery Choral Festival
- October 2, 2019
- Living Rosary
- November 7, 2019
- BCHS Open House
- November 11, 2019:
- Veterans Day Concert, 7 p.m. in the main gym
- November 22, 2019:
- Deadline for ISSMA Solo & Ensemble Festival entries
- Select Varsity Basketball game performances
- December 3, 2019:
- An Evening of Thanks, invite only event at Liter House, 5:45 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., (select musicians: 5:30 call time)
- December 8, 2019:
- Seeds of Hope Dinner, 7:00 p.m., Sullivan’s Hardware (6:30 call time)
- December 12, 2019:
- Indianapolis Chapter of Legatus Christmas Party, 7:15 p.m., Woodstock Club (Sounds of Silas: 6:45 call time)
- December 13, 2019:
- Christmas Concert, 7:00 p.m., BCHS gym (all ensembles: 6:00 call time)
- December 14, 2019:
- Christkindl Village, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., St. John the Evangelist (Vox Troiano: 11:00 call time)
- February 1, 2020
- ISSMA District Wind/Percussion/String Solo & Ensemble Festival
- February 8, 2020
- ISSMA District Vocal/Piano Solo & Ensemble Festival
- February 8, 2020
- CYO Music Contest @ Bishop Chatard (all hands on deck)
- February 15, 2020
- Chatard-A-Bration (all ensembles)
- February 22, 2020
- ISSMA State Vocal/Piano Solo & Ensemble Festival
- February 29, 2020
- Pueri Cantores Choral Festival @ St. Vincent dePaul, Chicago (Vox Troiano)
- February 29, 2020
- ISSMA State Wind/Percussion/String Solo & Ensemble Festival
- March 19-21, 2020
- Spring Musical, BCHS gym
- Band Jam for Incoming Freshmen Instrumentalists
- April 18-22, 2020
- BCHS Music Department Trip to New York City
- April 24, 2020
- Talent Show, BCHS gym
- May 4, 2020
- Celebration of the Arts, Spring Concert, 7 p.m., BCHS gym (all ensembles)
- May 14, 2020
- Baccalaureate Mass (all ensembles)
- May 17, 2020
- Graduation (Band, Vox Troiano, Sounds of Silas)
- Marching 101 Mini-Camp for all band members
The world today tells us that music is a great hobby, and that it benefits us in ways outside that go beyond the activity of music-making. While all that is certainly true, music is critically important because of its transformative and transportive power. Music is the soundtrack of the most impactful and meaningful moments of our lives. Music heightens our sensibilities and sensitivities – it rends our hearts. Music enhances and amplifies our prayer, our spirituality, and draws us closer to Him. We need better music – better choices, better artists, better artistry. Where will we get that? We will get that from the servant-hearted, caretaker musicians of Bishop Chatard High School, our children. –Mr. Duray
BCHS Choirs – 2019/2020
Vox Troiano, formerly known as the Liturgical Choir, is the select (auditioned), advanced, mixed, soprano-alto-tenor-bass (SATB) chorale (large chorus) of Bishop Chatard High School. Membership is through audition in early spring. For 2019/2020, choir members have four rehearsals a week – two during ZERO period (Wednesday and Friday) and two during HOMEROOM. Upon gaining membership through audition, members will be assigned to Mr. Duray’s homeroom. Participants will receive .5 fine arts credit per semester.
Sounds of Silas
Sounds of Silas is the select (auditioned), advanced, mixed (SATB) chamber chorus (8-16 members) of Bishop Chatard High School. This ensemble meets as a class during the 1st and 2nd semesters. Upon gaining membership through audition, students will need to adjust your schedule with the help of the school counseling department. Participants will receive 1 fine arts credit per semester.
Note: After serving two years (or four semesters) of either chorus, you are eligible for fine arts credit at the HONORS level for each semester of membership and participation. See or email Mr. Duray (email@example.com) for additional details or questions you may have.
BCHS 2019/2020 Music Courses
Applied Music: Guitar
Concert Band, Concert Band Honors
Chorus, Chorus Honors
Adv. Chorus: A Cappella Choir
Vox Troiano: Adv. Mixed Chorale
Beginning Piano and Electronic Keyboard
View Full Course Descriptions in our Course Catalog
Jillian Hurley, junior, achieved a gold rating with a nearly perfect score at the 2020 Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) State Vocal Solo and Ensemble Festival competition.
Jillian Hurley earned a gold medal for her vocal performance in the top performance level in the 2019 Indiana State School Musician’s Association (ISSMA) State competition.
Emily Boon received a Gold Medal with her flute performance in the 2019 Indiana State School Musician’s Association (ISSMA) State competition.
Jillian Hurley, Adam Pemberton and Emily Boon earned Gold Medals in the regional ISSMA Music Competition in Jan/Feb. 2018. Jillian won the gold for her vocal solo; Adam for his piano solo and Emily for her flute solo. Emily will compete at the ISSMA state competition on February 24.
Emily Boon auditioned and was chosen by the New World Youth Symphony as the second chair flutist in their Philharmonic Orchestra. She also was the only high school student in the pit orchestra for the summer stock production of ‘Pippin’at Park Tudor. Read the full story in The-Blueprint.org, the student news website.
The BCHS band and choir each took 1st Place in their categories in the Smoky Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, Tenn, Spring 2017.
Emily Boon, freshman, was the outstanding flutist at the CYO music contest on Feb. 11, 2017.
Jillian Hurley, freshman, was the overall vocal winner in the High School division of the CYO music contest on Feb. 11, 2017.
Erik Compton, Jack Lockrem, Robbie Tebbe, and Zach Elcesser received gold ratings at the January 2016 ISSMA District Solo & Ensemble contest!
BCHS students Colleen Curry, Rebecca Doyle, and St. John Jefferson traveled to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall with the Indianapolis Youth Chorale and National Festival Chorus on May 10, 2015. The group performed 10 pieces and received a standing ovation.
Exciting sounds are happening in the BCHS Music Department. Would you like to be a part of them? Consider helping out via the BCHS Music Booster Club. Contact Music Director Mark Duray at firstname.lastname@example.org