Welcome to the BCHS Music Program
Bishop Chatard offers student musicians the opportunity to learn and showcase their talents through participation in the school Concert Band, Concert Choir and A Capella Choir.
All students interested in learning more about the performing arts at Bishop Chatard are encouraged to contact the school.
BCHS Music Spring Trip: Info Meeting is Oct. 16
On Tuesday, October 16, the BCHS Music Department will host an informational meeting about our spring trip to the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point (May 3-4, 2019)!!! This trip is open to all students enrolled in band, choir (Concert, Liturgy, A Capella), piano, or guitar classes for the 2018-19 school year.
The meeting will be held in the Music Room (115) at 7:00 p.m. A representative from our travel company, Music Travel Consultants, will be here to talk about the itinerary, the cost, payment plan, and more, and be available for questions. All interested musicians should bring one parent or guardian to the meeting. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Duray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017-18 Musical Performances & Events
- September 20:
- Annual Fund Dinner
- October 31:
- A Cappella Choir visits Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- November 2:
- BCHS Open House; A Cappella Choir performance in the Music Room
- November 7:
- Small group ensemble singing at mass; Northside Knights of Columbus
- November 30:
- Concert Choir and A Cappella Choir sing at St. Vincent and Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital – 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- November 30:
- All choirs sing at ‘Christmas at the Zoo’. 6:00 p.m. concert
- December 14:
- Christmas Concert by Band, Choir and A Cappella Choir, 7:00 p.m. in the BCHS gym
- Pep Band Performances at Basketball Games:
- Jan. 24, Feb. 1, Feb. 6, Feb. 13, Feb. 21; 7:30 p.m.
- January 30:
- BCHS choirs join other Catholic high school choirs at Marian University for a concert of the Vivaldi “Gloria”. 7:00 p.m. Event is free and open to the public.
- January 27, February 4:
- ISSMA Music Contest. Emily Boon, Jillian Hurley, Adam Pemberton are participating.
- February 10:
- CYO Music Contest, 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- February 16-18:
- BCHS Performing Arts trip to Nashville, TN
- March 10:
- Annual Kyle J. Guyton Memorial Scholarship dinner Details
AnnouncementsExciting sounds are happening in the BCHS Music Department. Would you like to be a part of them? Consider helping out via the BCHS Music Booster Club.
Jillian Hurley, Adam Pemberton and Emily Boon earned Gold Medals in the regional ISSMA Music Competition in Jan/Feb. 2018. Jillian won the gold for her vocal solo; Adam for his piano solo and Emily for her flute solo. Emily will compete at the ISSMA state competition on February 24.
Emily Boon auditioned and was chosen by the New World Youth Symphony as the second chair in their Philharmonic Orchestra. She also was the only high school student in the pit orchestra for the summer stock production of ‘Pippin’at Park Tudor. Read the full story in The-Blueprint.org, the student news website.
The BCHS band and choir each took 1st Place in their categories in the Smoky Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, Tenn, Spring 2017.
Emily Boon, freshman, was the outstanding flutist at the CYO music contest on Feb. 11, 2017.
Jillian Hurley, freshman, was the overall vocal winner in the High School division of the CYO music contest on Feb. 11, 2017.
Erik Compton, Jack Lockrem, Robbie Tebbe, and Zach Elcesser received gold ratings at the January 2016 ISSMA District Solo & Ensemble contest!
BCHS students Colleen Curry, Rebecca Doyle, and St. John Jefferson traveled to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall with the Indianapolis Youth Chorale and National Festival Chorus on May 10, 2015. The group performed 10 pieces and received a standing ovation.
BCHS 2018/2019 Music Courses
Music Theory: AP
Music History: History of Rock & Roll
Applied Music: Strings
Applied Music: Beginning Guitar, Advanced Guitar
Concert Band, Concert Band Honors
Chorus, Chorus Honors
A Cappella Choir
Piano and Electronic Keyboard: Beginning & Advanced
View Full Course Descriptions in our Course Catalog