The BCHS dress code is based on our belief that students should present an image that reflects a sense of pride in themselves, their families, and their school. Our dress code is a reminder that clothing can be simple and uniform and the real worth of the individual is not in the clothing, but in what he or she accomplishes with the gifts God has given.
Purchasing Uniform Pants/Shorts and Shirts
Schoolbelles Uniform Co, on the north side of Glendale Mall on 62nd Street, is the official provider of BCHS uniform shorts/pants and shirts. (Note: BCHS’s Schoolbelle website code is S1664.)
Go To Schoolbelles
Purchasing Uniform Sweatshirts
A royal blue quarter-zip or gray crew neck uniform sweatshirt is allowed. These are available ONLY through the Bishop Chatard Spirit Shoppe. Contact the Athletic Office at 251-1451, ext. 2249, if you have any questions.
Go to the Spirit Shoppe webpage
Uniform Dress Code
From the Student Handbook, updated July 2017
- Note: ‘Uniform’ means those purchased from the official stores above.
- Shorts/pants: Uniform khaki shorts or pants with either BC or the cross and miter embroidered on
the front pocket. Shorts may not be altered to be more than two inches above
the knee and may not be rolled. This will be strictly enforced. Shorts may be worn year-round.
- Polos: Royal blue or white uniform polo with the school crest embroidered on the left side of the front of the shirt.
- Shoes: Gym shoes, closed toe, or casual shoes are required. No sandals or any type of open-toed shoe are allowed.
- Sweatshirts: The royal blue quarter-zip uniform sweatshirt or the gray crew neck uniform sweatshirt with the BCHS crest is allowed. These are available ONLY through the BCHS Spirit Shoppe. A school uniform polo must be worn underneath the sweatshirt.
- Physical Education Classes:
Students receive their Physical Education Class uniforms (t-shirt and gym shorts) during the first week of school in P.E. class. The cost of the uniform is included in tuition. If they are lost, there is a $30 replacement fee.
General Dress Code
- The uniform is in effect for all school days and any field trip outside the school that occurs on school days.
- To promote school spirit or celebrate events during the school year, Fridays are designated as spirit days on which students may wear any Bishop Chatard shirt with uniform pants or shorts.
- Pants may not sag. In the event that clothing is too large, a belt may be required.
- Uniforms should be in good repair and kept clean. They cannot be written on or torn.
Uniforms must fit appropriately–be especially mindful of too tightly fitting pants/shorts.
- A school uniform sweatshirt is the only sweatshirt that may be worn during
the school day.
Students are not allowed to wear hooded sweatshirts.
- Jewelry should be modest and conservative. No visible body part other than an earlobe, such as eyebrows, nose, tongue, etc., may have pierced jewelry.
- Hair may be kept long if it is neat and well groomed. Boys are to be clean-shaven- no mustaches, beards, goatees, or long bushy sideburns.
Boys will be asked to shave at school if facial hair is deemed distracting and/or in breach of this rule.
- Students’ general appearance and students’ general hygiene should be
appropriate for a Catholic high school. This includes, but is not limited to, make
up, hair color and style, clean & combed hair.
Students are expected to wear and manage their clothing and appearance in such a manner that does not disrupt the educational setting, interfere with health or safety, or promote vulgarity or discriminatory messages. If such appearances are considered disruptive to the educational environment or mission, the administration reserves the right to address the situation and enforce consequences as necessary.