The “Take Heart” sophomore retreat is inspired by the scene in Matthew’s Gospel where, in the middle of a storm, Jesus comes walking on water to his disciples. He tells them, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid” (Matthew 14:27). What happens next is an iconic moment: Peter walks on the water toward Jesus — momentarily. Once he takes his eyes off Jesus and instead focuses on the storm, he begins to sink.
There are a lot of things for us to be afraid of, or at the very least, distracted by, and these things can make us feel like we’re drowning. The Sophomore Retreat is an opportunity to take a step back from those worries and distractions to refocus our eyes on Christ. There will be time for faith witnesses, small group sharing, and quiet reflection. Camping metaphors will help students connect their faith with tangible images. High ropes opportunities make the Sophomore Retreat unique from other retreats.
As students take on these challenges and ‘step out of the boat’, so to speak, their peers will be encouraging them and calling them higher. As Christians, we can’t live a faithful life alone, and this retreat will help foster authentic relationships among classmates. The day will be filled with encouragement, community, and fun!
2021-2022 Retreat Dates
- Sophomore Retreat #1: August 29, 2021
- Sophomore Retreat #2: September 12, 2021
- Sophomore Retreat #3: September 19, 2021
- Where:Camp Allendale, Trafalgar, IN
- When: Consult the rosters below to find your assigned date
- How long: The retreat starts at 7:30 a.m at BCHS. Students will take a bus to and from Camp Allendale. They will return to BCHS around 9:00 p.m.
- What to bring: Comfortable and modest athletic clothes (nothing too short, tight, or revealing); gym shoes; a light jacket; a refillable WATER BOTTLE
- A completed Parent Permission Form is required to attend. Forms are due the Wednesday before each retreat.
(Note: You should see 3 columns of rosters below. If you don’t, scroll to the right to see the third.)