Tax Credit Scholarships (SGOs)
Through the Institute for Quality Education, Inc. (SGO)
The Institute for Quality Education, Inc. is a public charity recognized as a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). It processes scholarship grants to students of lower-income families, enabling them to attend private/parochial schools. Bishop Chatard maintains a tax credit scholarship SGO grant through this organization.
- If you receive BCHS financial aid, you are required to complete and submit an application for a tax credit scholarship.
- Parents will meet with BCHS Business office staff at a Financial Aid Appointment, usually between June through August, to begin the application.
Tax credit scholarships through the Institute are based on the family’s income and two additional criteria: the student lives in Indiana and is currently attending or applying to a private school, grades K-12.
In general, eligible annual household incomes are 200% or less of the eligibility guidelines for the Federal Free and Reduced Meal Program.
View Tax Credit Scholarship income Eligibility Guidelines
How to Apply
- Students who receive BCHS financial aid awards MUST apply.
- A separate application is needed for each student in a family.
- You do not have to apply for financial aid through FACTS to apply for a SGO. If you do not apply for financial aid but think you would qualify for a SGO award, you much submit pages 1 & 2 of your most recent US tax return to the Business Office. The Business office will make the determination and then apply on your behalf.
WHERE TO APPLY: From June to August, staff from the BCHS Business Department will meet individually with parents at a Financial Aid Appointment to start the application process. Outside of the June through August time frame, please contact the Business Office for details. (Bring a copy of the tax return from the most recent year to an appointment.)
If you have questions about eligibility or the application procedure, please contact either of the following: