Tax Credit Scholarships (SGOs)
Through the Institute for Quality Education, Inc. (SGO)
The Institute for Quality Education, Inc. is a public charity recognized as a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). It processes scholarship grants to students of lower-income families, enabling them to attend private/parochial schools. Bishop Chatard maintains a tax credit scholarship SGO grant through this organization.
- If you receive BCHS financial aid, you are required to complete and submit an application for a tax credit scholarship.
- Parents will meet with BCHS Business office staff at a Financial Aid Appointment, usually between June through August, to begin the application.
Tax credit scholarships through the Institute are based on the family’s income and two additional criteria: the student lives in Indiana and is currently attending or applying to a private school, grades K-12.
In general, eligible annual household incomes are 200% or less of the eligibility guidelines for the Federal Free and Reduced Meal Program.
View Tax Credit Scholarship income Eligibility Guidelines
- Students who receive BCHS financial aid awards MUST apply.
- A separate application is needed for each student in a family.
- You do not have to apply for financial aid through FACTS to apply for a SGO. If you do not apply for financial aid but think you would qualify for a SGO award, you much submit pages 1 & 2 of your most recent US tax return to the Business Office. The Business office will make the determination and then apply on your behalf.
HOW TO APPLY:
From mid-May to August 1, 2019, staff from the BCHS Business Department will meet individually with parents at a Financial Aid Appointment to start the application process. Applications are then submitted by the BCHS Business Office for CURRENTLY enrolled families for aid received during the CURRENT school year. The BUSINESS OFFICE submits these each year for each student who meets the qualifications.
Outside of this May-August time frame, please contact the Business Office for details. (Bring a copy of the tax return from the most recent year to your appointment.)
If you have questions about eligibility or the application procedure, please contact either of the following: